Thursday, August 16, 2012

Brights and Bolds


News news news! Ian and I moved! We moved apartments across town and it has been one HECTIC 2 weeks! We really weren't planning on moving, but we WERE apartment hunting. Then we toured a complex one day, and everything just seemed right so we applied and were accepted! The place is fabulous and we gained 300 sq. feet! (Considering our old apartment was only 443 sq. feet, 300 seems like an entire second apartment worth of space! haha)

So needless to say, I'm going to have a lot of home decor posts coming and lots of little DIYs along the way! First up is an old lamp that I gave a new life this week!

We needed a lamp for our dark hallway, and since cash is low, we rummaged around at my parents' house and found this white one from my childhood bedroom:


Plain, very old, slightly stained shade= BORING!

So I got a few cheap supplies from the craft store, sat down with Season 5 of FRIENDS, heated up the glue gun, and got to work! I was going to wrap the shade in ribbon, but decided not to actually wrap it because it would take twice as much ribbon. So I cut the ribbon into uniform strips, hot glued the top right inside the rim of the shade, then glued the bottom. I overlapped the ribbon strips to give it a pleated look and I love the way it turned out!


I chose a really graphic ribbon print and paired it with a silhouette iron-on decal I found at Hobby Lobby. Then I wrapped a little bit of velvet ribbon around the base of the lamp to tie in the black. Poof! Completely new lamp!


The apartment is going to look amazing once I get done creating everything, decorating, and making the apartment spiffy! I'll of course share pics when everything is done and little snippets here and there!
<3
E

1 comment:

Charlie said...

I love the way it turned out!! So cute! I never thought of using ribbon like that... I might have to try it. :)