Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Old Passions & New Challenges


+

Some of you may know this and some of you might not, but I used to be a dancer. I competitively danced for 6 years and it was some of the best times in my teenage-hood. I started it because it sounded fun and I wanted a new hobby, so when this new dance studio opened up in my town, I enrolled in ballet, jazz, and tap classes. Not long after that, I was asked to be in their competing ballet company. It quickly became an obsession and a passion. I was really good at it despite being the chubbiest girl in my class.

I went home crying the first day because of my weight and didn't want to go back, but my parents always made my sister and I finish what we started, so I went back with a positive attitude and didn't let my weight affect my interest in dance. I stayed with it and eventually had to make the switch to Dance Performance Color Guard in high school which was also a competitive team. When I went to college, I wanted to get my Minor in dance, but there was no room in my schedule and the audition process was grueling. It didn't seem to fit into my life any more and that really upset me!

+

Since Ian and I have finally settled down home-wise and our jobs are going well, he and I figured that it was a good time to pursue some things we've been wanting to do for awhile. I decided to register for dance again at a studio in my area! I signed up for Adult Hip Hop class which is an area of dance I've never really tried. Tonight was my first class and I really loved it! It's fast-paced, active, and challenging! And I am, again the chubby one, but it doesn't bother

I'm proud of myself for trying something I love once again even after being away from it for so long. I also hope that this leads to something remarkable for my fitness, health, and happiness! I'll keep you posted on how it's going, but it really feels good to be able to call myself a "dancer" again.

<3
E

2 comments:

Moe said...

thank you for posting this! You've inspired me to sign up for a dance class once I settle down. I've always wanted to but the weight thing, too, made me second guess.

I am putting this in my goal book :)

Lucy said...

:) Oh colorguard... Is it nerdy if I want to go back and steal a flag so I can toss it around and have toned arms?