Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Best Wintery Reads for the Bookworm

I get A LOT of my reading done in winter. Every year I set a goal of how many books to read and I probably accomplish 2/3 of my goal during the winter months! I compiled a list of some wonderful books to curl up on the couch with this December!

1. Heidi is a childhood favorite for me! I love the setting and the time period! The scenes in the mansion she goes to live in make me feel cozy! (I know it's not under the best of circumstances, but I can't help but picture Christmastime around that big house!)

2. The Golden Compass is almost completely set in the wintertime snow, so it makes the imagery extra vibrant! All the snow, polar bears, and arctic adventures are so thrilling!

3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe from the Chronicles of Narnia is also a classically wintery read! Not to mention Mr. C.S. Lewis and his Christian wiles set a wonderfully warm path of symbolism to our Saviour, Jesus Christ! There's nothing more Christmasy than that!

4. The Princess Bride is just a good, old fashioned, lighthearted fairy tale! All the adventure, action, fantasy, and love make for the perfect all-encompassing story for a snowy day inside.

5. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, I've heard, is THE best holiday book in the YA section you will find. Just all around, gosh-darn sweet! The collaboration between the authors makes for a faceted but complementary patchwork of Christmas magic.

6. The Bridge is Karen Kingsbury's latest book set against a Christmas plot backdrop. The cover is dreamy and makes me feel all warm inside. The love story and self-discovery is heart-warming as well!

7.Sweetly by Jackson Pearce isn't a winter, Christmas, or holiday book of any kind. But seriously-- it is CHOC FULL of sweets, treats, and chocolatey goodness that reminds me of a gingerbread house of deliciousness. Not to mention it's a retelling of a classic fairy tale, Hansel & Gretel, so that makes gives it an age appropriate nostalgia that you can't replicate. Mmmm.

<3
E

No comments: